Tuesday 29 January 2008

#1 - "nonya"/coconut-lime curry

I made this last night so there's no pictures, but it was very much appreciated by both myself & my omni boyfriend, so I guess that's always a good thing!

Inspired by the vegan Nonya curry at Tampopo, which has a very rich, thick, coconut and lime sauce. In my version the sauce isn't quite so thick, and I left out the tofu & alternated some of the veggies according to what I had lying around. I used a leek in mine to make it go further, but I think it'd be a lot better with a red and/or green pepper, so I'll include those in the recipe.

Coconut-Lime Curry (serves 2):

1 small onion, diced
Roughly 125g mushrooms, quartered or halved
1 red/green pepper (or both, if you prefer), cut into strips
1 tin babycorn (or you can use fresh), cut into small pieces

For the sauce:
2/3 of a tin of coconut milk
Juice of 1 lime (you can also use some of the lime pulp, although it's optional)
1 teaspoon peanut butter
Curry powder to taste
Chilli powder to taste
Squeeze of garlic puree
Squeeze of tomato puree
Sprinkle of dried basil

1. Sautee the onions until tender, and add the rest of the veggies. Cook until soft (this takes around five minutes.)

2. Add the coconut milk and the lime juice, and bring to the boil.

3. Stir in the rest of the sauce ingredients, and allow to simmer for around 20 minutes. You might need to add some water at this point if the sauce boils away too much. Keep tasting the sauce to check it's spicy enough for you - if it gets too spicy at any point, just add a little more coconut milk.

Best served with white rice and/or naan bread. Enjoy!

1 comment:

stupidstuff said...

I initially read the directions as calling for roughly 1259 mushrooms!